Soul Sculpting Project : A 5 Minute Advent Celebration for Ages 2- 102+
I didn’t grow-up doing home Advent Services, perhaps you didn’t either. I experienced my first one many years ago with some friends and their 2 year-old daughter, Anna.
It was simple. We lit candles, read, sang and prayed.
The candles held Anna’s attention long enough to create a satisfying experience for all of us.
My husband and I began celebrating these simple services when our daughters were very young and we continued through their growing-up years. The specific readings and themes change from year to year, but the simple format has stayed the same. This week my husband and I are getting ready for Advent 2019. I invite you to join us. Celebrations like Advent are rituals that enrich us.
Soul Sculpting Project: The 5 Minute Advent Celebration
- Advent takes place the 4 weeks before Christmas as a way to prepare for the coming (Advent) of Jesus.
Advent Week 1: December 1- 7 Theme: Mary
Prep: Set up 5 candles and get the matches
Tips for Celebrating with Kids:
- Do the service after supper or before bed..
- Give jobs to everyone.(Jobs: Say words, Light candles, Read, Pray, Lead song, Blow out candles.)
- The darker the room the more fun the candlelight..
1. Say, “We light this candle in honor of Mary.”
2. Light first candle.
3. Read Luke 1:26-38I
In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary.
The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be.
But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. For no word from God will ever fail.”
I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.
4. Pray Thank God for something.
5. Sing Silent Night
Silent night, holy night.
All is calm, all is bright
Round yon Virgin Mother and Child—
Holy infant, so tender and mild.
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace.
6. Blow out the Candles
Happy Advent Week 1 !
Celebrations and rituals:
- Provide structure and stability in the midst of a changing world.
- Strengthen our sense of identity and belonging.
- Re-presents our worldview.
- Provide renewal, an oasis, in the midst of every day life.
- Provide a sacred space that strengthens our inner world/soul.